Choose a grade level to access 4 FREE library lesson plans for that grade level from the Picture Book Brain Trust.
The free lesson plans focus on teaching a variety of literacy and library skills for general education, ELLs / ELs / EBs, and SpEd students. They are designed to be used at any time throughout the school year for specific books.
Free Library Lesson Plans For Elementary Students
Click the button below for the grade level that you would like your free library lesson plans! These lesson plans are perfect for elementary librarians looking for library lesson plans for elementary students whether they’re a first year elementary librarian or an experienced veteran school librarian who just wants to save some time.
These lessons are just a small sampling of what the Picture Book Brain Trust has to offer! Do you like the lessons? Do you want access to HUNDREDS of library lessons, read alouds, and other resources?
Joining the Picture Book Brain Trust goes beyond our free library resources. It offers YEARS of Common Core-aligned lesson plans for grades K-8. You’ll also be able to download our wildly popular Mock Caldecott competition units, editable lesson plans, monthly book giveaways and MORE!
What’s in this Elementary Library Lesson Plans Membership?
As a member, you get access to:
- Over 450 books with a week of lessons per book for grades K-8 – OVER 1800 LESSONS!
- Each lesson includes:
- week-long lesson plan
- discussion questions
- comprehension questions
- suggested discussion strategies
- reading response pages and graphic organizers
- anchor chart ideas
- Google Slides for teacher or student use
- Google Docs and Slides response pages
- Digital graphic organizers
- Over 200 lessons available in Spanish and English
- Private members-only community forums to share ideas, collaborate, problem-solve and chat
- Monthly Member Calls + Book Giveaways!
- More Free Time, Less Time Planning
- Immediate access to all new lesson plans added monthly
- Common Core Standards and suggested discussion strategies for EVERY lesson
- Materials for online, in-person and virtual teaching
- Members only community to chat and share ideas with other elementary librarians, library media specialists, teachers, and educators
Each lesson features objectives, I can statements, step-by-step script, discussion questions, assessments, anchor charts ideas and utilizes a gradual release of responsibility framework. Also, most lessons can be completed in-person offline, virtually or in a blended learning model. All materials use a design help enhance student learning.
30 Minute Library Lesson Plans
Each lesson is designed to last approximately 30-40 minutes depending on the length of your lesson time. Parts can be edited and reworked for your specific students because no one knows your students like YOU do. The focus on books helps make lifelong readers through a variety of fiction and nonfiction lessons. Whether you need a library lesson plan for Kindergarten or an upper elementary library lesson plan, the Picture Book Brain Trust lesson plan library has you covered!
Help for Teachers
Not an elementary school librarian? Maybe you’re a teacher librarian, a teacher or a parent. 25,000+ teachers, librarians and parents in the regular classroom setting, library and home are already using these resources.
Our lessons make great library sub plans, English language arts sub plans, or Spanish language arts lessons too. Also, all lesson plans are in an easy-to-understand format and are ready to go. Additionally, they use strategies for ELLs and second language learners.
Looking for the best free library lesson plans for elementary students? Look no further! Sign up for 4 weeks of free elementary library lesson plans per grade level to build literacy skills and a love of books and stories. Kindergarten, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th grade students will love these lessons and elementary librarians will love the time they’ll not having to plan lessons.